It is Sunday and the inevitable question – what’s for lunch? There was mutton in the freezer and that brought memories of Rajasthani Laal Mass we had while holidaying in Rajasthan. A search brought up this recipe. As usual, I tweaked it a bit..
Rajasthani Laal Maas
- 700 grams Mutton
- 2 small Potatoes
- 1.5 cup Curd/Yogurt
- 3 tbsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder (heaped)
- 1 tbsp Corriander Powder (heaped)
- 1.5 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 800 grams Onions Sliced thinly
- 3 cms Cinnamon stick
- 1 medium Black Cardamom
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 5 tbsp Ghee
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tbsp Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Pepper corns
- Take curd, ginger garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder in a bowl, mix well and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker, add in cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns and black cardamom. Add onions, salt and cook until golden brown.
- Add in mutton and mix well until it is seared. Add in the potatoes. Mix well.
- Add in curd mix and stir well till the colour darkens. Add some water.
- Add some water and mix well. Cover and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Then simmer the flame and cook for 15 mins. Turn off the heat and let it stand till the pressure is released.
- Serve with rice or rotis.