In the search for nutritious, healthy ingredients, I came across Aliv seeds (also called Halim or garden cress). These seeds are rich in iron and calcium. Laddoos made from Aliv is a traditional Maharashtrian dish made during the winter season. In combination with Coconut, Jaggery, Ghee, and nuts this is a gold mine of nutrition. It is also called a superfood.
Aliv Laddoo ( Gardencress Seeds Laddoo)
- 100 grams Aliv Seeds (Gardencress seeds) Also known as Halim Seeds
- 2 cups Coconut Freshly grated
- 1 cup Coconut water
- 1 cup Jaggery Powdered
- 2 tsps Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg Powder
- 4-5 nos Almonds chopped
- 4-5 nos Cashews chopped
- Soak the aliv seeds in coconut water for about an hour. It will absorb all the liquid. If required you can add some more water.
- Add the grated coconut and the jaggery into the soaked aliv. Leave it again for about half an hour. The gel of the seeds will absorb the flavour of the jaggery and the coconut.
- Heat 2 tsp ghee in a pan and add in the soaked mixture along with the chopped almonds and cashews.
- Mix well and on a medium flame cook the mixture till it gets a little dry and begins to leave the sides of the pan. This will take about 10- 12 minutes
- Turn off the heat and add in the nutmeg powder
- Allow it to cool slightly and then roll it into laddoos.