There is an abundance of coconut in the coastal regions of India where coconut is an essential ingredient for many preparations. This recipe uses coconut milk to deliver a delicious tasting curry.
Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk
- 1 kg Chicken Cleaned and cut into medium size pieces
- 3 Medium Onions Finely chopped.
- 1/2 tsp Jeera Cumin Seeds (For tempering)
- 1/2 tbsp Fresh Ginger Grated
- 1 Pod Garlic Grated
- 3-4 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Salt to taste
- 300 ml Thick Coconut Milk
- 2 Medium Cloves
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 nos Medium Elaichi Cardomom
- 2 sticks Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Jeera Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Saunf Fennel Seeds
- 1 handful Coriander Leaves finely chopped.
- Dry roast the Cloves, Coriander Seeds, Cardamom, Cinnamon sticks, Cumin Seeds and Fennel Seeds. Let it cool and then grind it to a fine powder and keep aside.
- Heat Oil in a vessel. Add the Jeera (for tempering) and fry it till brown. Add the grated ginger and garlic and fry till the raw smell goes off. Add the chopped onions and fry evenly till golden brown. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and the ground spices. Stir it well. Add the chicken pieces and mix thoroughly so that the spices are well coated. Cover and cook till the chicken is done.
- Add salt to taste. Mix well. Pour the coconut milk. Mix well. When the curry begins to bubble, cover and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Check salt and adjust if needed. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with steamed rice, appam or parathas.