A specialty of Mangalorean cuisine, it finds its place on special occasions.
Chicken Curry with Crispy Rice Roti
- 750 g Chicken Cleaned and cut into medium pieces
- 1/2 Medium Coconut Grated
- 5-6 Medium Dry Red Chilli -Madras
- 9-10 Medium Dry Red Chilli -Bedgi
- 2 tbsp Corriander Seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tbsp Methi Seeds
- 1 tsp Pepper Corns
- 2 Medium Onions Sliced
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 5-6 cloves Garlic
- 1 piece Cinnamon
- 3-4 nos Cloves
- 1 cup Thick Coconut Milk
- 1/4 cup Ghee
- 1 knob Tamrind Lemon size Knob
- 2 tbsp Green Masala Refer Green Masala recipe
- 2 Medium Tomatoes Chopped
- Roast Grated Coconut until light brown in color.Dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, methi seeds, cloves, cinnamon, pepper, red chilies and keep asideTake a little ghee and fry half of the sliced onions and garlic.
- Grind all the roasted ingredients along with the fried onion and garlic, turmeric, tamarind to a smooth paste adding water if required.
- Heat the remaining ghee in a pan and saute the remaining sliced onions until light brown. Add tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes on a slow flame. Add chicken and mix well. Add the green masala, salt and a little water. Cover and cook on a slow flame.
- When the chicken is half cooked, add the ground paste and half of the coconut milk and stir well. Cook till the chicken is done.
- Add the remaining coconut milk and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve with crispy rice roti.
This chicken curry can also be served with neer dosa, appam or rice.