Indulge in the delightful simplicity of Nankhatai, a traditional Indian shortbread cookie prepared during the festive season and special occasions. This is a one-bowl recipe made with the basic staples available in your pantry. You will enjoy the crumbly texture and the rich buttery flavour which just melts in the mouth.
- 1 Oven
- 1 Electric Whisk
- 1/2 Cup Ghee ( Clarified Butter)
- 3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour (Maida)
- 1/4 Cup Gram Flour (Besan)
- 2 Tbsp Fine Rawa (Semolina)
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1-2 Tsp Slivered Pistachios For Garnish
- Few Dried Rose Petals (Optional) For Garnish
Making the Cookie Dough
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone sheet
- Sift together All Purpose flour, Gram Flour, Salt, and Cardamom powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl place a sieve over the bowl and sift in the powdered sugar and add in the ghee.
- Cream the ghee and sugar using an whisk.
- Occasionally using a spatula scrape the mixture off the sides. Whisk until the mixture turns light, pale, and creamy.
- Add in the sifted ingredients to the sugar mixture, combine everything using a spatula.
- Use your hands to bring the dough together. Do not knead.
- Pinch a small portion of the dough, and roll it between your palms to form a smooth ball. Flatten it slightly and check if there are any cracks on the edges. If it appears smooth, the dough is perfect.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes
Shaping of the Dough
- Pinch a lime-size portion of the dough. Roll it between your palms to form a smooth round shape. Flatten it slightly and make a small depression in the centre using your fingertip.
- Place it on the baking tray. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Place them 1 inch apart as they will expand on baking.
- Cover loosely and refrigerate for another 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 190° C or 375° F
- Remove the tray from the refrigerator and place the pistachio slivers on the dent of the cookie dough.
- Bake at 190° C or 375°F for 15-18 minutes or until the edges begin to turn a light golden colour.
- The cookies will be soft when done but will firm on cooling. Garnish with dried rose petals (optional) Let the cookies rest in the baking tray for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy them with a hot cup of tea or coffee.