Due to lockdown, we have been avoiding buying fresh food. There was this urge to eat Parsi style chutney bread made by Theobroma. I had a very good recipe to make a bread loaf from a home baking course I had taken many moons back. I decided to adapt it to make the chutney bread. I made the chutney similar to the one used to make Parsi style baked fish in banana leaf. The end result was awesome!
Parsi Style Chutney Bread
- 250 grams All Purpose Flour
- 7.5 grams Salt
- 10 grams Sugar
- 5 grams Yeast (Used Active Dry Yeast)
- 10 grams Butter
- 190 ml Water
- 1/2 cup Green Chutney See link below for the recipe
- In a bowl take 100 ml of lukewarm water add sugar and mix well. Add in the active dry yeast. Leave it in a warm place for about 10- 15 minutes to activate the yeast.
- On a counter sieve the flour along with the salt and make a well in the centre. Add in the yeast solution and gradually add in the balance 90 ml water to form a soft smooth dough. Add in the butter and knead again. This will take approximately 12-15 minutes.
- Transfer the dough into a large greased bowl and rest the dough for 45 minutes covered with a damp kitchen napkin. Keep it in a warm place to proof. It will double in size.
- After the dough has risen, knock back the dough and knead again for a few minutes. Rest it again for another 30 minutes.
- Place the dough on a counter and gently roll out into a rectangular sheet with the help of a greased rolling pin. Spread the green chutney over the sheet. Start rolling the sheet from one end till you reach the other end and have the dough in a cylindrical form. Seal in the edges.
- Place the roll in the greased bread mould and keep it for proving for another 40- 45 minutes or till it has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220 C. Brush the risen dough with some milk for a nice brown colour crust. Bake for about 30 – 40 minutes or till the top is golden brown in colour.
- Once out of the oven brush the top with butter while it is still warm. Cool the bread for a minimum of 2 hours before you slice. Enjoy with a good spread of butter.
Here is the recipe for the chutney used in making this bread
One Reply to “Parsi Style Chutney Bread”
Awesome recipe 👌 👌 👌