During the lockdown, I had to buy some cottage cheese from the dairy. While standing in the queue for my turn I happened to see their displayed product list. The fresh mawa in the list caught my attention and brought back fond memories of the mawa cake I used to buy from the Parsi bakery. Ended up buying the mava.
I made muffins using the mava. It is pretty simple and basic cake recipie. The addition of cardamom gives it a delicious flavour. It is super rich and very addictive at the same time.
- 1 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour (Maida)
- 1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Mawa (Milk Solids)
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 3 Tbsp Slivered Almonds or Pistachios (Or any other nuts)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade. Keep the muffin tray ready with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl sieve together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric hand mixer, whisk together the butter and sugar until light and creamy. It should take around a minute or two.
- Add in the grated mawa and continue beating on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Next add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Now reduce the speed of the mixer and start adding in the flour and the milk little by little. and mixing it just until combined. ORYou could use a spatula to gently fold in together the flour and milk.Be sure not to over mix.
- Divide the batter into the prepared muffin tray and sprinkle the slivered nuts on top.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the muffin comes out clean. Do not overbake or the muffins will be dry.
- Let it cool for about 5-10 minutes and enjoy it warm.