Sheera as it is called in parts of Tulunadu, is a sweet dish made from semolina. Various variants are made by adding pinapples, banana, etc. It is the season for mangoes so I decided to make Mango Sheera. This variant is sure to be enjoyed by everyone.
- 1 cup Semolina (Rawa)
- 1 cup Mango pieces (Ripe)
- 1 cup Jaggery grated
- 7-8 nos Cardamom (powdered)
- 1 cup Ghee
- 2 cups Milk (warm)
- 1 cup Water (Warm)
- 1 pinch Salt
- 20 nos Raisins
- 10-12 nos zcashew nuts
- 5-6 strands Safforn (Optional)
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom kadai. Add semolina and fry on a meduim heat until light brown in colour.
- Add in the saffron and mix well
- Next add in the pinch of salt, cashew nuts and raisins. Roast it till it gets slightly brown in colour.
- Now add in the chopped mangoes, mix well and continue cooking till the mangoes pieces are soft and some slightly mushy.
- Now gradually start adding the warm milk and water and keep stirring at the same time on a low flame till all the liquid is absorbed.
- Now add in the powdered jaggery and mix well. As the jaggery melts it will become liquidy again.
- Add in the cardamom powder and keep stirring and cooking till it gets dry and starts leaving the sides of the pan.
- Turn off the flame and the mango sheera is ready to serve.